Thanksgiving Eve Journal


Just like a little kid, my life revolved around the promise of snow today. Homebound, but fueled by English Breakfast Tea and Espresso Hot Chocolate, I documented the small details of the weather, as the disappointing rain transitioned into lovely snow. Here’s my photo journal of what happened today. I hope you enjoy it!

I woke up this morning to dreary rain. I had an interview to conduct in a few hours, so I made a mug of tea and ate apple slices dipped in peanut butter for breakfast. It was the first time I’d done that and it was delicious! I really should have taken a picture, but I was much too grumpy about the rain and it was super dark in the Hobbit Hole.

Later in the morning, I noticed that the water on our table out back had started to freeze.


It was still raining, but I decided to go outside to find the beauty in the rain instead of just complaining about it. 


It was clearly not snowing, but the rain made everything look pretty.


As we cycle through the seasons again, I know I'm going to enjoy realizing how different each season is from the one we experienced the year before. I had no idea each winter or fall was so distinct and unique growing up in California! I don't mean the colors of the leaves, or the snow. I mean how one year a tree turns bright red in the fall, and the next year, its leaves are more of a deep burgundy. Last year all the plants had died by the time it snowed, but this year there's still quite a bit of green left. 





Leftover lentil and tempeh lettuce wraps were consumed for lunch...I purposely planned extra healthy recipes for Aaron and I early this week because I know we'll eat a lot over Thanksgiving! It was only the second time I've made tempeh. The first time was an epic failure, but these lettuce wraps were delicious. Aaron loved them too!

Early in the afternoon, it actually started snowing! Giddy, I ran outside and took some more pictures.





We spent the rest of the afternoon indoors. Aaron has plenty of studying to do and I had a few more things to edit, ideas to research, and emails to send. I took a break to do about twenty minutes of yoga.

Since it's been cold, Hobbes has enjoyed sleeping in my lap in the afternoons, as long as I have a fuzzy blanket. During the summer and fall, most afternoons found her in the bed in the windowsill, but now that it's winter, she quickly discovered that my lap is far warmer than the window.


Since snowy days are great days for music, here's the song I've been obsessed with lately. It's We Will Become Silhouettes, originally by the Postal Service, covered by The Shins. 


As it gets dark, I'm excited for tomorrow, and grateful for days when I can work from home, cat on my lap, husband nearby.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Comments