Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Gen Con Part 3: "The Road goes ever on and on..."

Continued from Part 1 and Part 2

I had time to run out and get Indian food from a food truck, which I carried with me into yoga. I’d passed an epic Gandalf on my way out, but didn’t have time to take a picture with him. After waiting in line for a long time, I only had time to run to my yoga class and no time to eat. It was 3PM at this point and I was pretty drained.

Our yoga teacher took one look at the class and decided we would have a mellow practice. We all must have looked exhausted. It was an absolutely incredible class. I’d felt so sore, but my soreness dissipated over the course of the class. We began with a long sitting session, and ended with a long shavasana. It was so relaxing, and exactly what I needed at that moment in time.

Unfortunately, yoga ran late. Although I was only about five minutes late for my next Dominion tournament, they’d already given my seat away to someone else. Defeated, I walked out to a main walkway, and sat down to eat my lunch.

It was still warm. I haven’t had much Indian food since I got sick in India three years ago, but I devoured that food. As I ate and people watched, I began to feel a lot better. I wandered down to the gaming hall, found two of my friends who were hobbying, and crocheted with them. Again, it was just what I needed.

Terrain for Aaron's Infinity tournament.

After a while, the three of us walked over to Georgia Street, sat along a raised sidewalk area, and just talked while we waited for the others to finish their tournaments. It was fun to sit and laugh and hang out. The others finally joined us a few hours later and we all got dinner at the food trucks, sat, and laughed some more. We ended the evening with more laughter and pictures of the new Infinity models in one group’s hotel room.

Sunday came too early. After three days of early mornings, late nights, and fervent activity, we were wiped out. We said goodbye to Dee, the first to leave Indianapolis, and then Aaron and I sat in the main hallway outside the vendor hall and mainly people watched. That was about all we had the energy to do. I did go into the hall, and bought some loose leaf tea, and we got lunch at a mac and cheese food truck, but other than that, we just sat. We were so tired. 

Finally Aaron and I decided to leave and get to the airport early. We said goodbye to our friend Christian, and as we were getting ready to leave, I saw Gandalf again. I was so excited! I ran over to him and asked to take our picture. Of course he acquiesced and I took a picture with Gandalf. It was one of my favorite moments of the convention. Of course I had many favorite moments, but it was a highlight.

At the airport, I got a bolt of energy from a frappachino, and did quite a bit of work, which was awesome, because it made my transition into last week far easier. We flew home and at last I saw my kitten baby again. Hobbes was overjoyed to see us! We spent that night at Nana’s house, as we flew into Boston, and we had Hobbes locked in Nana’s room to keep her away from Eddie, and whenever I’d leave the room, she would howl and howl. Nana said that (luckily) she did not do that when we were gone! So she was definitely letting me know how she felt about me leaving the room. But when I would come back, she would want more snuggles and purr and purr.

Monday we drove home and then slept for about twelve hours that night. It felt so good to be home, back in the Hobbit Hole, just the two of us with Hobbes.

Next year we’ll separate the California and Gen Con trips. (Oh, we thought we were so clever!) We also agreed never to take a red eye again. We truly enjoyed seeing everyone, however, and can’t wait for Gen Con next year!

Thanks for reading! If you missed them, check out Part 1 and Part 2.

Quote in the title comes from The Fellowship of the Ring, chapter 3, page 73.

No comments:

Post a Comment