Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Tofu Rice Bowl


Even if you've never consumed tofu you probably have some opinions about it.

Mine was that chunks of tofu masquerading as meat sounded disgusting.

When I was growing up, we didn't eat much red meat. We weren't quite vegetarians – we ate chicken and fish – yet soy milk and ice cream sandwiches made from tofu (Cuties) were common sights in our refrigerator. We didn't eat much tofu for dinner, however.

In my quest for a healthier diet, I decided to experiment with tofu. I bought Trader Joe’s organic tofu, which is pretty soft and kept in water. Today, I created a recipe that I found surprisingly tasty. I read a comment somewhere that if an eater was wary about eating chunks of tofu, they should utilize tofu as texture in a dish, so that was my inspiration for this rice bowl.

You can cook the rice however you usually cook it. My recipe calls for vegetable broth because I made rice a few nights ago with vegetable broth for a specific dish, and it reminded me of rice I ate in India. I was itching for an opportunity to cook rice that way again! If you don’t want to use vegetable broth or don’t have any on hand, simply omit step 1 and cook rice as normal.

The Trader Joe’s tofu comes in a 19 oz. package. I didn't have a way to measure exactly how much I used, so I've approximated the amount here. 


Tofu Rice Bowl

Ingredients

For the rice

1 cup rice
2 cups vegetable broth
½ Tbsp. canola oil

For the tofu

½ Tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. red curry paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh minced ginger
6 oz. tofu (approximately)
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Quick drizzle of soy sauce

Directions

1. Fry the rice in the canola oil for a minute or two, and then add in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and lower the heat to simmer until the rice is done, about twenty minutes.

2. Cut off a 6 oz. piece of tofu, and chop it into little pieces. Place them into the frying pan with the olive oil.

3. Cook the tofu over medium heat, and add in the red curry paste, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of soy sauce. Cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about five minutes.

4. Scoop rice into a bowl, and serve the tofu over the rice.

Serves 1-2.


I made this for lunch on my own today, and have just enough for leftovers during lunch tomorrow.

The tofu really breaks up in this recipe; it’s not meant to remain in chunks, as you can see in the pictures. It reminded me more of the eggs in egg fried rice. The softer consistency ensured that I wasn't tasting chunks of tofu, but I had sneakily added protein into my rice bowl for a healthier lunch.

The meal was tasty! I’m looking forward to experimenting with all the leftover tofu. I think it would be great in egg fried rice and in certain soups! If anyone has tips on how to cook really yummy tofu, please leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear your suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment