Monday, October 27, 2014

Rainbow Roasted Vegetables


In keeping with my idea to eat vegetarian and vegan lunches, I made a dish of colorful roasted vegetables that I wanted to share with all of you because it was so tasty!

I have been very inspired by some gorgeous purple, yellow, and orange carrots that I purchased at Trader Joe's. They are so pretty and add a pop of color because at this point in my food journey, most of my vegetable dishes are entirely green. Long time Sputnik Prose readers can attest that broccoli and Brussels sprouts usually compose the majority of any vegetable dish we make in the Hobbit Hole, so I have been having a lot of fun, especially with the purple carrots!

To gain some extra healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants, I decided to add nuts to the meal. I had pecans on hand, so I tossed those into the mix. They added a new dimension of flavor and I would definitely use that particular type of nut again, although pine nuts or walnuts would lend themselves well to this dish.

Of course I threw in Brussels sprouts, since they're almost always found in my fridge.

I'm excited to plan out my meals for this week and try to introduce a new vegetable or two to the menu! I'm also considering tempeh or tofu to add protein into vegetable dishes.


Below is the recipe:

Rainbow Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients

3 large carrots
8 oz. Brussels sprouts (this is half of a 16 oz. Trader Joe's bag)
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
small handful pecans
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.

2. Slice the carrots into coins, and cut the Brussels sprouts in half.

3. Pour the vegetables into a baking dish (I used an 8x8 glass dish), add in the pecans, and drizzle the olive oil over the mix. Add spices to taste; you can get creative and add in whatever spices you enjoy! I love spicy food, so I added crushed red peppers.

5. Roast the vegetables for 50-60 minutes.

The dish was easy and delicious! I'd love to hear what you would add to this dish. I think potatoes or butternut squash could be really tasty. Let me know if you make it!

Hobbes wants to eat it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment