Monday, October 6, 2014

Cut Your Own Hair!


I did something crazy today.

No, it was not eating pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for breakfast or singing to Hobbes all day long.

I cut my own hair!

There’s a backstory to this random crazy decision, and it starts with my husband. Aaron has never paid for a haircut as long as I’ve known him (which is five years now!). In college, he had his hair cut by friends.

When Aaron and I got married, however, he asked me to cut his hair. I didn’t want to cut it at all, but when a friend gifted us an extra razor set that he had, I caved and agreed to try it. I’ll be honest: I’m pretty sure I cried after that first haircut, even though Aaron said he loved it, but we were saving up money and paying off college loans, so I reluctantly agreed to do it again.

Lots of tears and almost three years later, I’ve reached a point where I actually feel like I’m halfway decent at cutting his hair. There are no more tears. I don’t rely on the razor as much. Haircuts are no longer dreaded events in the Cooke household.

However, if you’d told me three years ago that I would have cut my own hair today, I would have politely giggled and privately entertained notions of your insanity.

Yet a few weeks ago, I pinned a tutorial to Pinterest, and that got me thinking. I haven’t had my hair cut since February, so after a few weeks of mulling it over, I decided to try my hand at cutting my own hair. After further incredibly academic and thorough Pinterest research, I found two tutorials to help guide me: one at Diary of a Mad Crafter and How-To Hair Girl.

Right as I was getting ready to take before shots in the backyard, one of our upstairs neighbors came down into the yard to wash his bike with the hose. After Hobbes creepily stared at him (I definitely didn’t do that), I turned on some pump-up tunes (Shake It Off by Taylor Swift and California Gurls by Katy Perry) and cooked dinner while I waited for him to leave. Yep, I’m a creepy hermit sometimes.

Neighbor gone, I got to work. I pulled my hair into a ponytail as the tutorials suggested. 





As I looked at the ponytail, I realized there were three distinct layers in the hair. So I sectioned these off with ponytails, and then cut each of them, one at a time. 

Apprehensively, I took out the ponytail holders. My hair looked okay! I wet it and brushed it and then turned my attention to the front of my hair. I like to have layers around my face, so I cut those by taking a section of hair, and then cutting the section in a downward motion so those pieces closest to my face would be short, and the ones furthest from my face would be long. I also took the strands of hair in front of my ears and did the same thing.

I was pleased, but felt like my hair was still too long. So I put my hair in a low pony and cut off the longest ends.



It wasn't a drastic haircut by any stretch of the imagination, but I’m immensely proud of myself. My hair feels lighter and healthier. 


Even though I was grumpy and cried through the process, I've somehow morphed into a person willing to cut her own hair. Those first few haircuts of Aaron's were awful, in my opinion (although friends assured me they looked fine), but I'm grateful that Aaron pushed me to keep trying. Sometimes I give up too easily. The hair-cutting process, even though it's just a small, silly aspect of life, has taught me about persistence and not doubting myself.

And the results are pretty fantastic! Overall, I’m really pleased with the haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment