Monday, September 15, 2014

Spicy Chili Salt


A few months ago, I wrote a post on roasted garlic salt that my aunt gave me. She also gave me chili salt. The chili salt was also amazing (that's the original container she gave me in the picture!).

Refusing to eat popcorn without that spicy kick, I asked my aunt for her recipe when my chili salt began to run out. She told me the essential ingredients (salt and chili powder), but suggested other spices to add to mix it up.

I didn’t own any chili powder. Honestly, I’m not sure how I’ve gone this long without it. I bought some at the store last week for the salt and for a chorizo dish that I made a few nights ago, and it was amazing!


When I got ready to make my own chili salt, I decided to add another ingredient: smoked paprika. Trader Joe’s sells smoked paprika, and I love the earthy, smoky scent of it. I decided to add this to my salt mix. Here’s what I came up with:

Spicy Chili Salt

Ingredients

3 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. smoked paprika

Stir together the three ingredients to make a lovely red blend of chili salt!

If you don’t like spice as much as I do (certain members of my family maintain that I’ve burned off my tastebuds), I would suggest halving the chili powder and paprika amounts, and making up the remainder with additional salt. 

Check out that amazing texture!
This recipe is obviously a lot simpler than my roasted garlic salt, but it’s a spice that I’ll always have on hand now. I've enjoyed experimenting with different spice mixes! Now that harvest season is close, I've been wondering what to do with the oregano, basil, and parsley in my garden. Perhaps I ought to dry some of those and make an herb salt!

My aunt also suggested cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper for those who want an extra kick. If you’re not a big fan of the smokiness of paprika, I’d add in cayenne pepper instead, to make the salt more peppery. If your taste buds are even more burnt off than mine, go crazy with that crushed red pepper. (Aaron prefers to taste his food, so I've had to cut back on those little flakes of fire!)


Speaking of fire, Hobbes recently hit ten months! She’s been filling out and getting huge. Her new favorite pastime is to hang out in our bathroom sink, even when the faucet is turned on. As the water pools around her, she’ll drink the water off her own back. She’s hardcore like that. 

So hardcore.
10-12 months, however, are the teenage months for kittens. Online, we read that we should expect Hobbes to be a big brat until her first birthday. We've seen the beginnings of that attitude already...she woke me up the other morning by trying to tear down one of our Game of Thrones maps off the wall. She's been pushing her boundaries. She's never allowed in the shower, but last Friday, as I was trying to clean it with hydrogen peroxide, she climbed in and, and sat there until I found her and kicked her out. As I scolded her, she tried to bite me! So she’s definitely been super naughty!

So naughty.
She’s also super cute. Whenever we arrive home from a day at the university, she’s always there to greet us at the door. She meows hello, and when I pick her up, she rubs her head against me. She can be so sweet and so awful! I love her to pieces.

Tell me if you try out the salt recipe! I can’t wait to use it on my next batch of popcorn!


No comments:

Post a Comment