Monday, September 8, 2014

Best Quinoa Salad Ever



Today I am sharing my all-time favorite quinoa recipe with you.

Quinoa has long been a stable in the Cooke household, as you could probably guess from my numerous prior posts about one of my favorite foods. It’s so awesome because it is a complete protein (containing all of the essential amino acids) and is also gluten free. I love it because it is a perfect meat substitute, and blends in well with just about everything.

I’m not sure if this is a California thing, though…

I made some quinoa dish and sent the leftovers to school with Aaron. As he was eating his quinoa lunch, one of his classmates jokingly made fun of him for eating quinoa, and said that quinoa is a California food.

Is it? I have readers from around the country and the world, so sound off and tell me if it’s a California thing or if you eat quinoa too!


It’s totally fine with me if it is a California food; I’ll keep eating it and revel in my delicious California habits!

I mix it in with soup and stir-fries most often, yet this quinoa salad that I stumbled across is seriously the best. I gobble it up like candy. If you've never tried quinoa before, this is an awesome introductory dish, and if you’re a quinoa fanatic (like me), this may just be one of the tastiest quinoa meals you’ll ever eat.

The following is adapted from the recipe at Kalyn’s Kitchen [link]. 



Best Quinoa Salad Ever

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 14.5 oz. can black beans
½ cup green onions, sliced
½ cup cilantro, chopped

For the dressing:

2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
To taste: cumin, coriander, and pepper

Directions

1. Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.

2. While the quinoa is cooking, chop up the red bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro, and add them to a bowl. Drain the can of black beans and add it to the bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together the lime juice, olive oil, and spices.

4. When the quinoa is done, mix it in with the beans and vegetables. Stir together.

5. Pour the dressing over the quinoa and mix together.

Enjoy! Serves 2-4.

Aaron and I eat this as a main course, although it would be great as a side dish for dinner or a potluck. However, it’s so tasty that I eat enough to fill me up completely.

I've cooked this salad several times now, and savor it every time! In fact, maybe it’s time to make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment