Sunday, December 1, 2013

Quick Weeknight Meals: Avocado Pasta

Another test in patience...taking a picture of avocados.
As I was making dinner tonight, I realized that I needed to blog about it. A recipe this tasty and simple needs to be shared with the world! I found Avocado Pasta on Oh She Glows, a vegan recipe website! I’m not vegan, but a cranberry lime vodka cocktail and pecan pumpkin butter from Oh She Glows are awaiting an experimental Sunday afternoon on my food Pinterest board! We’ve also sampled her Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash recipe, which was the perfect recipe for us to try out spaghetti squash (we are easily convinced to eat anything with avocados in it), even though we decided that we weren’t big fans of spaghetti squash. (I just want spaghetti.)

Avocado Pasta can be done and on the table in 15 minutes. I put about half a package of spaghetti on the stove to cook, and then prepared the avocado sauce. I blended up one avocado, two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, half of a lemon, one clove of garlic, and a few twists from the salt grinder. After an essential taste test, I decided the sauce wasn’t quite punchy enough, so I added a drizzle more of extra virgin olive oil, the other half of the lemon, more salt, and a generous helping of pepper.

Once the pasta was cooked and ready, I dolloped all of the sauce over our two bowls. The one downside to this recipe is that there are never any leftovers…the day old avocado would probably be yucky, and I’m not going to risk it. Plus, it’s so tasty that it’s unlikely we could restrain ourselves and actually save leftovers.

Basil is a component of the original recipe, and I can only imagine that it would make the pasta even more flavorful. If we grow basil in our backyard next summer, I will definitely include it!

The first time I made this recipe, Aaron and I smelled like garlic for the remainder of the evening. Two cloves was too much. I think an especially pungent garlic flavor results from blending cloves, so for those of you who say that there’s no such thing as too much garlic, this is a great recipe to go crazy on. If you use three or even four cloves, you’ll be in garlic heaven.

Avocado pasta is so awesome because not only is it ridiculously delicious, it’s also ridiculously healthy! Good fats (the unsaturated kind) from avocados and extra virgin olive oil make the pasta magically disappear, and whole grains enhance the meal with a kick of food power. Aaron is not that big of a fan of whole wheat, so when I know my sauce will be extra tantalizing, I sneak in whole wheat pasta. Tonight I merely used the pasta in the cupboard, which was half whole wheat and half regular Trader Joe’s spaghetti.

Here you can see the texture of the sauce once it's mixed in.
On a side note, the radio predicted snow for today and snow never arrived, and although I’ve been nervous for my first snowfall, it’s time now. Snow, I am ready for you! (I think!) However, we drove by some frozen streams on our way to church this morning, and there were frozen waterfalls that were gorgeous! Some snow would really complete the look. Just saying. Plus, now that all the leaves have fallen, snow would ameliorate the brown barren landscape. So maybe I am finally ready for snow. (But whether I’m ready to drive in it is another matter.)

We predicted a white Thanksgiving, but it came and went with only rain and sun…will we have a white Christmas? While we ponder that question, we’ll be supping on avocado pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment