Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ooey Gooey Cookies!

One of the extra surprise benefits of marrying Aaron is that he is not a big fan of dessert. If he was, I would be in the kitchen all the time baking sugary delights, and I would have gained one hundred pounds by now. As it is, he helps keep me accountable, and healthy. However, he has a weakness for brownies and chocolate chip cookies, which provides a nice balance of well-being and indulgence in the kitchen.

So we decided to spoil ourselves a few weekends ago, and tried out one of my Pinterest pins: Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies. You can find the original post and recipe here. The results were so tasty that I decided to share it with all of you!

Aaron and I teamed up to bring these tantalizing cookies into reality. He mixed up the peanut butter dough, and I mixed up the double chocolate cookie dough.

His and hers cookie dough!
 Either of these fabulous doughs would make delicious cookies by itself, too! We don't have an electric mixer, but we found that it worked just as well to mix the dough by hand. The recipe said to let the dough cool in the fridge for a few hours, and although I usually skip those types of steps, I found that it really was essential to let the dough cool in the fridge for a few hours. Without cooling, the chocolate dough especially would be too soft and messy. It was late at night, but we figured that just meant that we got to watch another episode of Downton Abbey!

After the cooling, I took about a spoonful of dough from each bowl, rolled them into balls, and then mushed them together. Even with the cooling, the chocolate dough was messy, but I did not wash my hands in between cookies as the recipe suggested; I figured if a little chocolate dough sneaked into the peanut butter dough, no one was going to complain! At this point, I realized I didn't have any parchment paper to line the cookie sheets, but as cookies usually are placed on ungreased sheets, I just put the cookies on the sheets as is and they turned out just fine. They were a little hard to get off the sheet; I had to be sure and let them cool.

This is a sight that causes one's patience to fly out the window.
We were definitely awed by how delicious these cookies really were. I followed the suggestion in the recipe to take the cookies out after a certain time, even if they didn't look quite done, and they were so gooey and warm and rich. In fact, they were so rich that we could barely manage any more than two, when normally I could probably easily eat four cookies right out of the oven (plus cookie dough!). It is a bit of an extra effort to make two different doughs, but with a good friend at your side, the process is fast and enjoyable. I liked the peanut butter dough just a little bit more, and sometime I want to make peanut butter cookies out of this dough. I loved that each dough had chocolate chips in it, as well. The peanut butter cookie recipe called for creamy peanut butter, but I didn't have any on hand, so I just used Crunchy Unsalted Peanut Butter from Trader Joe's and I actually enjoyed the added texture from the peanuts.

Close-up of the peanut butter dough.
The cookies were still gooey and yummy several days after we made them. I sneaked whole wheat flour into both doughs, and did not taste it at all when they first came out of the oven, and although I could taste it after they cooled, they were still delicious. This recipe will join the annals of Cooke family favorites!

We'll be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment