Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Jon's Applecakes

This year for Christmas, Aaron got me one of my favorite Christmas presents of all time: A Feast of Ice and Fire, the official Game of Thrones cookbook! I am a big Game of Thrones fan, and anyone who has discussed the books with me can tell you that my all time favorite character is Jon. When I was reading through the books for the first time, Aaron kept encouraging me to find a different favorite character after each novel, since the worlds of Westeros and Essos are so vast, with so many well developed and intriguing characters. Although I was fascinated by several of the characters, inevitably after every book, I would always say that my favorite character was Jon. Even after Book 4. It’s a little ridiculous.

Anyway, just picture my excitement when one of the most delicious looking recipes in A Feast of Ice and Fire is something that Jon ate in the books! There is a tantalizing picture of applecakes that I have been drooling over ever since I received the book. So this past weekend, I decided that I would not wait any longer to satisfy my hunger.

I made a playlist titled “Jon’s Applecakes” (nerd!) and embarked on the adventure. The recipe called for Poudre Forte, which is a medieval spice blend, so I mixed together the necessary spices in a fun glass jar.

It definitely needed a fun label.
 I made extra, for the next time I need it. Then I started work on the dough. 

The dough had to rise, just like bread, but I found that I was occupied for the whole hour or so that the bread was rising. Applecakes require apples, and the apples needed to be cored and peeled. I have never cored and peeled an apple by hand, so I made it up as I went along. Basically, I cut the apples into slices and then just cut a knife along the peel. Maybe everyone does it this way, I don’t know. I think I have seen some nice machines that peel apples. I’m sure they exist somewhere, but not in my kitchen! So the peels were of course quite irregular, as were the apple chunks that I cut up after, but I figured that my apples probably resembled those that the brothers of the Night’s Watch would chop. 

The filling smelled so good! A few days later, our house still smells like cinnamon.
I had a lot of leftover apple peels. After eating the peels from one apple, I determined that I would not be able to eat all the peels of the other apples. So I decided to experiment and bake the peels in the oven. I mixed them with butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground cloves, spread them over a baking tray, and put them in the oven. 

Transformed Peels!
They tasted like apple pie when they came out! The ones with apple still left on them were the best, as the ones that were mostly peel were a tad chewy. It was fun to experiment, and prevent the waste of so many apple peels. 

Peeling the apples and making the filling had filled up an hour, and I began the process of making the actual applecakes. To measure the thickness of the dough, I used what is rapidly becoming my standard tool for such a task: a Warmachine reach key. That’s right. A Warmachine reach key is a piece that comes from the tabletop wargame that Aaron and I play. It measures the distance between two models, to determine if the models can attack each other or not. It comes in handy for me because without a ruler, I am not very adept at measuring inches and those other tricky things with my eyes. So I have been using the reach key. 

Definitely close enough for a Rune Fist attack from Megalith.
After filling the dough, I fried the applecakes in a pan and they were done! Aaron and I felt like we were on the Wall as soon as we bit into them. They were delicious! Aaron in particular was very fond of them, and had about three, even though it was nearing dinner time. I really enjoyed the process that went into them, as well as tasting a treat from one of my favorite books! I am very excited about making other recipes in the cookbook! 

The finished product!
I thought that I would include my playlist for fun. Since I really took my time with this recipe, it took me a few hours, and it was fun to have a playlist ready to listen to and sing along with while cooking.

Jon’s Applecakes Playlist
Your Song – Ellie Goulding
I Have and Always Will – Dave Barnes
The Hardest Part/ Postcards From Far Away – Coldplay
West Coast – Coconut Records
Half Our Lives – Sanctus Real
Lisztomania – Phoenix
She’s Mine – Brett Dennen
Hey Ya – Obadiah Parker
Someday – Brett Dennen
Wait – Alexi Murdoch
Song for You – Alexi Murdoch
Until You – Dave Barnes
Back to You – Coconut Records
Face of Love – Sanctus Real
Warning Sign – Coldplay
Angel – Jack Johnson
This Side – Nickel Creek
Let Your Love Be Strong – Switchfoot
I Left My Heart In San Francisco (Single Version) – Tony Bennett
Alive – Phillip Grigsby
Benjamin – Sanctus Real
1901 – Phoenix
Can You Feel the Love Tonight – The Lion King
I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
Animal – Miike Snow
The Patriot Reprise – John Williams

There actually were more, but I guess I will have to save them till the next cooking experiment! Until then!

1 comment:

  1. So awesome! Megalith does not have reach though :)

    ReplyDelete