Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homemade Magnets

A happier refrigerator!
To me, a myriad of magnets covering a refrigerator turns a house into a home. It fills a kitchen with life, and this life usually spills over into the rest of the house, in cheerful piles of clutter, as colorful as the magnets on the fridge. For the first seven months of our marriage, our fridge was sadly lacking in good magnets. I filled some of the space with cards, setting up a birthday shrine for me during March and Aaron during May, but the fact remained that we needed some good magnets. Alas, this was not a malady that I was not actively seeking a solution to.

One unsuspecting day, the solution was found. Aaron needed magnets for a wargaming project, and we found business card magnets at Staples that seemed to meet his need. They were sticky on one side, presumably for attaching business cards to, or for attaching game pieces to, as in Aaron’s project. Yet as he was working on his project, he realized that these magnets with a sticky side would be perfect for easily creating refrigerator art. I pulled out some old local magazines and got to work.

A whimsical collage.
I mainly searched for scenic pictures that would fit on the magnets, then I would cut them out and simply adhere them to the sticky side of the magnet. I even made a few picture collages, such as the one above, using white glue when needed. I also made two word collages, such as the one below.

My first word collage.
 It was so easy, and the magnets were fairly inexpensive and came in a pack with about fifty business card magnets. I only used between ten and fifteen magnets, and Aaron used the rest for his project.

I even made some of my own inspirational quote magnets. The magazine I was cutting pictures from had a page of travel quotes, and I turned three of my favorites into magnets. I will leave you with the quote by Mark Twain, which you may or may not be able to read in the picture: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” 

Words to explore by!
So sail away from the safe harbor of plain white fridges, and go create some magnets!

No comments:

Post a Comment