Friday, July 13, 2012

Burritos!

My latest culinary exploration was burritos. Aaron and I love Chipotle, and Mexican food in general. And by love, I mean that I could eat Mexican food every day. Really. We wondered why, after seven months of marriage, we had not yet made burritos.

Instead of just slapping together some beans, rice, and meat, I decided to model our dream burritos on what we love about Chipotle burritos. The first aspect, at least for me, is the cilantro lime rice.

I found a recipe online, and started cooking. I soaked the rice (1 cup) for 10 minutes as the recipe said to do, and since I have no background in food science, I have no idea if the soaking actually did anything, but I did it anyway. Then I drained the rice, and added about a tablespoon of canola oil to the rice. I stirred that up over high heat, and then squeezed an entire lime into the mixture. I have to confess that I almost always cook over high heat unless I really need to turn it down, like when making pancakes. However, even though the recipe probably called for medium heat, or some other such thing, let’s face it, I don’t really believe in medium heat. Except for pancakes.

Anyway, I added two cups of water and salt and then let it all simmer. I added some cilantro halfway through the simmering, and added the rest of the cilantro at the end.

Meanwhile, I had been marinating chicken for a few days in the last of a jar of salsa from Trader Joe’s, along with cumin, coriander, and crushed red chili peppers (my Mexican food spice heroes), and some diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. It was basically an impromptu marinade from the leftovers I found in my fridge. I cooked the chicken on a skilled on the stove, also on high heat, until it had been cooking for a while. Okay, maybe I believe in two heats: high heat and low heat. I still don’t believe in medium heat. Maybe it is because our stove doesn’t do medium heat well. It’s probably more that my patience does not do medium heat well.

I also heated up beans on the stove, but with the heat from the rice and the meat, that is not really necessary when making burritos.

We also love avocados, as in we could eat them for every meal every day on top of any food , and so we reveled in the chance to put guacamole in our burritos, since we don’t typically pay for it. I just mixed together avocados, the juice of half a lime, and salt and pepper. Someday I’ll do a post on our favorite guacamole recipe.

Finally it was all done! We stuffed rice, beans, chicken, guacamole, and cheese into flour tortillas from Trader Joe’s.

They were so delicious! The cilantro lime rice was a huge success, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce turned out to be a perfect thing to put in a marinade. It is always exciting when cooking experiments turn out so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment